Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Other Required Approvals

campus planning    compliance2computerresearch

Many contracts require input or involvement of other units on campus. For example, certain agreements for the purchase of computer software, hardware, or related equipment may require approval from the Office of Information and Technology.  University Contracts must be submitted to the following Units for review and approval prior to signature.  The Units listed will coordinate with OGC as necessary for legal review and approval.

Accounts Payable.  When engaging an independent contractor, all University representatives must abide by procedures outlined in University Policy #6150, Independent Contractors.

Campus Planning and Facilities.  All University Contracts for construction or architectural/engineering design services must be submitted for approval through Campus Planning and Facilities.

Department of Public Safety.  Any University Contract involving the use of security officers, leasing or purchase of real property, or the provisions of security services must be submitted to the Department of Public Safety for review prior to execution.  A copy of the executed contract should be sent to the Department of Public Safety once the contract is executed.

Department of Purchasing.  Please contact Purchasing, in accordance with University Purchasing Policy #6130 for any University Contract with a value of $10,000 and over.

Human Resource Services.  All employment contracts should be directed to Human Resource Services.

Office of Information Technology (OIT).

The following contracts must be submitted to the Systems Architecture Review Board (SARB) for review and approval:

  • Contracts for the purchase of software (renewals for purchases previously reviewed and approved by SARB do not need to be submitted again)

The following contracts must be submitted to the Information Security Officer for review and approval:

  • Software contracts involving transfer or storage of personally identifiable information, education records, health records, data that may be subject to export control or other sensitive data may be sent by OIT for legal review. (renewals for purchases previously reviewed and approved by SRR do not need to be submitted again)

Center for Global Education.  Please contact the Center for the following types of University Contracts, which are subject to special procedures:

  • University Contracts involving partnerships or exchanges with foreign universities or countries and/or admission of foreign students.
  • University Contracts involving student international travel or faculty taking students abroad.
  • Please contact OSP if the contract involves research.

Office of Institutional Compliance and Ethics (OIC).  University Contracts where a foreign vendor is involved in research, or where there are non-standard export control provisions or export control implications, please contact Office of Institutional Compliance and Ethics for an export control review.

Office of Research Compliance (ORC).  Any University Contracts involving the use of human or animal subjects, the purchase or shipment of controlled substances, must be submitted to Office of Research Compliance for review and approval.

Office of Risk Management and Insurance.  Please contact the Office of Risk Management for assistance with any of the following:

  • University Contracts with clauses that require non‑standard University insurance. (for example, contracts that require the University to have coverage limits above $500,000)
  • Contracts with vendors that do not satisfy the University’s standard insurance requirements.
  • For information about standard insurance requirements, please see Office of Risk Management and Insurance website.

Office of Technology Transfer (OTT).  The following University Contracts must be submitted to Office of Technology Transfer for review and approval:

  • University Contracts involving confidentiality, trade secrets, Non-Disclosure Agreements.
  • University Contracts for licensing technology arising from University inventions and other creations, including agreements with terms governing patent and copyright registration, the generation and dissemination of royalties or confidentiality and non-disclosure provisions.
  • University Contracts for rental of lab or research equipment or space.

Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)/Sponsored Programs.  As noted in the Contract Policy, all contracts for Sponsored Projects, regardless of funding amount, must be routed directly to OSP.  See Policy 5030, Office of Sponsored Programs, for more information.  For University Contracts involving expenditures under Sponsored Projects, the Unit is responsible for ensuring all requirements of the External Sponsor agreement are met.  For example:

  • Unit is responsible for ensuring all Sponsored Project procurement requirements are met, securing multiple bids/quotes, if required, and ensuring a suspension, debarment and exclusion search in the System for Award Management (SAM) is conducted, and appropriate records are retained.
  • Contact Purchasing for assistance with bids/quotes and suspension, debarment and exclusion inquiries.
  • Contact OSP for questions regarding terms and conditions of the associated Sponsored Project.

Trademark and Licensing and Enforcement.  The following University Contracts must be submitted to the Office of Trademark and Licensing and Enforcement for approval:

  • University Contracts involving commercial filming or photography on campus.
  • University Contracts involving the use of University branding, including the University’s name, trademarks, logos, or trade dress. (including on web sites, in customer lists or other promotional materials)
  • University Contracts with proposed trade-outs or sponsorships of the University by third parties.
  • Advertising or promotional agreements under which advertising or promotion will be placed on campus or commercial activity will take place on campus, either separate from or alongside University branding.

Treasury and Real Estate Services.  Please contact Treasury and Real Estate Services for assistance with any of the following:

  • Contracts for lease, license, or use of real property by the University, including any leases where University will be a tenant or landlord, including lease, license, or use of storage units. A copy of all executed leases should also be provided to the University’s Department of Public Safety.
  • Purchase or conveyance of an interest in real property, including sale, leasehold interest, easements and/or mineral interests, rights of way or any form of encumbrance.
  • Similarly, agreements involving the use of any university-owned or controlled facility shall be reviewed and approved by appropriate Department for the space of facility.
  • For Facilities Use Agreements involving use of University’s lab or lab or research equipment, contact Office of Technology Transfer.
  • For any disposition of property purchased all or partially with funding from external sponsors, please contact OSP.

Tax Reporting.  Please contact Tax Reporting for any University Contract with a foreign vendor, speaker, performer, or contractor, including contracts made with US companies who represent foreign individuals or entities.