The Office of General Counsel provides the following types of legal services to the University:
(this list is meant as an overview and is not all-inclusive)
- Legal Requests: The University Office of the General Counsel provides legal services to Boise State University administrators, departments and units on university-related issues and activities. The Office of the General Counsel cannot provide legal advice to university officials relating to personal matters, or provide legal assistance or services to students. A request for legal services must be routed through the appropriate dean, chair of the department, provost, associate vice president or vice president for approval.
- Employment Law: We advise on the development and implementation of University employment policies; advise in the administrative process for discipline or termination of University employees; advise in the employee grievance process, faculty retention, promotion and tenure decisions and discrimination claims; and advise the University in complying with state and federal employment laws.
- Student Matters: We advise on the development of policies governing students; participate in the administrative process for disciplining or dismissing students; and advise regarding the activities of student organizations.
- Intellectual Property: We advise on the development of policies regarding licensing of technology; review sponsored research agreements and licensing agreements; and provide advice to the University community on copyright and trademark matters.
- Real Estate: We provide advice and assistance regarding legal issues involving real estate owned by Boise State University, as well as leases of real property by and to the University.
- Record Requests: We review subpoenas and other requests for records submitted to the University and assist with responses to such requests.
- Litigation Management: We supervise litigation handled by outside counsel, including attorneys from the Idaho Attorney General’s Office.
- Legislation: We provide legal analysis and recommendations to the administration on proposed legislation.
- Trademarks and Licensing: We ensure proper control and use of trademarks associated with Boise State University by establishing processes of granting authorization for legitimate internal and third-party use of University trademarks.