The Office of General Counsel provides the following types of legal services to the University:
(this list is meant as an overview and is not all-inclusive)
- Contracts and Conveyances: We review and prepare a wide variety of contracts, including those related to construction and capital improvements; equipment, service and supply purchasing contracts; food services; sale, lease and purchase of real property; and employment and personal services.
- Legal Requests: The University Office of the General Counsel provides legal services to Boise State University administrators, departments and units on university-related issues and activities. The Office of the General Counsel cannot provide legal advice to university officials relating to personal matters, or provide legal assistance or services to students. A request for legal services must be routed through the appropriate dean, chair of the department, provost, associate vice president or vice president for approval.
- Employment Law: We advise on the development and implementation of University employment policies; advise in the administrative process for discipline or termination of University employees; advise in the employee grievance process, faculty retention, promotion and tenure decisions and discrimination claims; and advise the University in complying with state and federal employment laws.
- Student Matters: We advise on the development of policies governing students; participate in the administrative process for disciplining or dismissing students; and advise regarding the activities of student organizations.
- Intellectual Property: We advise on the development of policies regarding licensing of technology; review sponsored research agreements and licensing agreements; and provide advice to the University community on copyright and trademark matters.
- Real Estate: We provide advice and assistance regarding legal issues involving real estate owned by Boise State University, as well as leases of real property by and to the University.
- Assure Compliance with State, Federal, and Local Legal Requirements: We review university policies, and any changes thereto, for legal compliance and implications. We proactively consider the needs of various offices and help to design systems for efficient and ongoing review of all transactions and legal considerations.
- Record Requests: We review subpoenas and other requests for records submitted to the University and assist with responses to such requests.
- Litigation Management: We supervise litigation handled by outside counsel, including attorneys from the Idaho Attorney General’s Office.
- Legislation: We provide legal analysis and recommendations to the administration on proposed legislation.
- Trademarks and Licensing: We ensure proper control and use of trademarks associated with Boise State University by establishing processes of granting authorization for legitimate internal and third-party use of University trademarks.